Glamping has seen a massive surge in popularity in recent years. Across the globe, guests favour unique experiences and accommodations, especially at resorts that operate with the environment in mind.
With the potential for exponential growth and record interest in glamping, 2023 is a great time to start your own glamping business.
In this guide, we’ll cover what you need to know about how to set up a glamping business, including:
- Understanding Glamping Trends
- Is Glamping a Good Business?
- How to Develop a Business Plan for Glamping
- Market Strategy and Planning
- Choosing a Location for Your Glamping Business
- Marketing and Promoting Your Glamping Business
- Designing a Glamping Experience That Caters to Your Target Audience
The Complete Guide on How to Set Up a Glamping Business in 2023
Understand Market Research and Glamping Trends
Conducting thorough market research is imperative if you want to start a successful glamping business. Understanding and studying your local market are key aspects of projecting profit.
A priority for de-stressing, concern for the environment, and growing interest in healthy outdoor activities will continue to propel growth in the eco-tourism industry.
As reported by Grand View Research, the global glamping market size is anticipated to reach USD 5.94 billion by 2030! This is especially impressive considering the luxury tent industry was only valued at $2.07 billion in 2018.
Luxury-tented resorts are consistently ranked amongst the best hotels in the world, with guests willing to pay higher rates than traditional offerings.
Related Reading: The Glamping Market Continues to Climb
Determine Your Target Audience
Along with studying the market, you’ll want to identify your target audience within the sustainable glamping industry.
With the desire for authentic, relaxing holidays close to home, families, couples, and corporate groups are turning to glamping for a unique, memorable experience.
Take some time and think about who you want to attract to your glamping business.
Identifying your target audience and picking a niche can make the marketing process significantly easier.
To determine your target audience, ask yourself:
- Where do they live?
- Do they have children?
- Are they retired couples?
- How old are they?
- What is important to them?
- How would they find out about your glamping business?
Once you define your target audience, determine how you will cater your glamping experience to them.
For instance, a couples-focused retreat will benefit from small, thoughtful touches that add a hint of luxury, such as a complimentary bottle of wine, a fresh bouquet, or a sample bottle of massage oil.
Glamping resorts intended for families and children will benefit from add-ons that make the space feel comfortable and welcoming. For family spaces, consider having a little shelf with cards or games in case of a rainy day or a small take-home goodie such as a colouring book and a tiny pack of crayons for kids.
Developing a Solid Glamping Business Plan
A concise business plan for glamping is key to getting started — and succeeding — in the eco-tourism industry.
Glamping is a relatively inexpensive business model, especially once you have the funding for the land and eco-structure tents secured.
Land and eco-structure tents will be the most important part of a glamping business plan. These key facets will also be your biggest investments.
A good business plan for glamping will feature:
- Detailed considerations for glamping site management, staffing, maintenance, and guest services.
- Predicted ROI (return on investment)
- A detailed budget that accounts for all initial costs and ongoing expenses (the land, eco structure tents, infrastructure, booking fees, facilities, permits, maintenance costs, staff, etc.)
- Revenue projections
- Clear funding options
Choosing the Perfect Location for Your Eco-Glamping Business
The right location plays a huge role in the success of an eco-glamping business. Guests favour experiences that are authentic, memorable, and immersive.
Tips for picking the best location for your glamping business:
- Choose a unique, spacious site (ideally, you’ll want a minimum of half an acre)
- Prioritise a location with natural features, nearby walking trails, phenomenal views, a creek or river, close to local tourist attractions, or within walking distance to a beach or other body of water
- Find a spot with a unique history or story, such as a historic site or working farm
- Opt for a peaceful, isolated location to appeal to glampers looking for a break from the hectic pace of normal life
- Consider how your guests will interact with the location
- Research local attractions and tourist spots
- Determine the environmental impact your glamping business will have on the land
- Research accessibility for water, electric, and sewer hookups
- Consider local weather conditions
- Determine local permits and restrictions
How to Obtain Necessary Glamping Business Permits
Getting a permit for a glamping business will likely be one of the more difficult, time-consuming aspects of the process.
Each country and state features unique permits and requirements. How your property is zoned, how large of a resort you want to build, the location, and the type of facilities you want to have are all key factors that will affect the permit process.
When securing necessary permits for your glamping business, be sure to:
- Contact your local Environmental Health agency regarding health and safety regulations
- Contact your local zoning office to inquire about necessary permits and ordinances to be aware of. Requirements will vary greatly depending on local laws, making it imperative to research permits and restrictions ahead of time.
- Find out if your location is susceptible to any local hazards (i.e. do you need insurance against bushfires before permit approval?)
- Determine the type of toilet or bathing facilities needed and find out which permits are needed
Designing Eco-Friendly Glamping Accommodations
We’ve done all the hard work here for you.
Sustainable glamping is a win-win. Along with being better for the environment, sustainable glamping resonates with travellers who have expressed a growing concern for the earth.
At Eco Structures, sustainable glamping is our entire focus. From our construction techniques using eco-friendly materials to our minimal carbon footprint, we put mother nature first in everything we do.
Our extensive range of glamping eco structures offers hundreds of unique customisation options to match your vision and goals. From initial inquiries through the design process, our team has the expertise needed to guide you as you form your business plan for glamping and begin setting up your glamping business.
Some of our innovative and eco-friendly measures include:
- We designed our neutral canvases to seamlessly blend into the surroundings, allowing our eco-structure tents to complement nature rather than detract from it.
- Our Eco Anchor foundation system boasts a smaller environmental footprint than conventional foundation systems such as stumps, pads, and concrete slabs.
- The installation of our Eco Anchor foundation system negates the need for heavy concrete trucks and other equipment that may disturb or damage natural flora and surroundings.
- The relatively fast two-day install time per tent means minimal disturbance to the surroundings.
- Our prefabricated eco-structure tents require all the necessary materials and components, ensuring waste at the site is kept to a minimum.
- Our glamping tent kits can be airlifted into environmentally sensitive locations, translating to minimal environmental impact compared to hauling materials in with conventional trucks.
- Our glamping tents can be dismantled and easily removed if needed in just 2 days — far less time than taking down a conventional structure. This translates to as little disturbance to the surroundings as possible.
- A range of environmentally friendly services can be added to our eco-structure tents, including filtration systems, solar panels, and more.
- Our Eco Decking flooring is manufactured from recycled rice husk composite material. Along with providing natural thermal insulation, each board already has colour embedded into it, eliminating the need to paint or stain the boards.
- The canvas construction of our glamping tents makes them extremely energy efficient.
Marketing and Promoting Your Eco-Glamping Business
Along with finding the perfect location, setting up a business plan, and obtaining necessary permits, it is also important to plan your marketing strategy for your glamping business.
Marketing plays a crucial role in attracting guests, establishing a strong brand, and ensuring your glamping business is profitable.
Determine your strategy for reaching eco-conscious clients by researching content marketing, social media, and potential partnerships. With how fast the glamping industry is growing, it is crucial to understand how to set yourself apart from competitors.
Here are some tips for finding customers for your glamping business:
- Highlight your commitment to sustainable glamping
- Showcase what makes your eco structures and location unique
- Use email marketing to reach out to guests
- Invest in a website to market your glamping business and update it regularly with blogs or videos
- Use social media (Instagram, Facebook, etc.) to actively promote your glamping business
- Check with your local tourism centre to see how to be featured in local accommodation guides
- Consider what other glamping businesses in your area are doing for advertising
- Check Pinterest for inspiration and ideas for your glamping business
- Sign up with Airbnb, Glamping.com, or local websites (for instance, Glampinghub showcases unique stays only in Australia)
- Research popular hashtags to draw attention to your glamping business, such as:
Set a Price Per Night for Your Glamping Business
Setting the right price per night is important for maximising profits and drawing customers to your sustainable glamping resort. It is crucial to find the right balance. Too high of a price will reduce your bookings, but you also don’t want to undersell your glamping site.
Research how many other glamping sites are listed per night in your area and compare how your location, experience, and amenities compare.
The price per night will be determined by competitor pricing, your location, the unique experience your glamping resort offers, and how luxurious your eco-structure tents are.
Operational Considerations and Best Practices
To run an eco-friendly resort, you’ll need to research how to incorporate sustainable tourism practices into daily operations, including energy efficiency, environmental impact, and waste management.
It is also essential to develop a clear operating plan for your glamping business that addresses these questions:
- Who will handle bookings and reservations? Who will respond to guest inquiries or concerns?
- Will your glamping resort include luxury add-ons, such as a sauna or hot tub?
- Will you hire staff members? Cleaners? If you plan to run a resort with more than 5 eco-structure tents, you’ll almost certainly need staffing to help run your glamping business.
- Who will change the bed linens and clean the eco structure tents after each stay (or each night, depending on the experience you offer. Higher-end resorts will change linens nightly)
- Who will maintain the land (i.e. keep up landscaping, water flowers, mow the grass, etc.)
- What steps will you take to reduce the carbon footprint of your glamping business?
- Can you install solar panels to power your eco-resort?
How to Design the Ultimate Glamping Experience
Glamping goes far beyond the appeal of the actual eco-structure tent and location. It’s also about the experience.
Customers want a unique experience that is as special as the accommodations you offer.
Here are some tips for creating a unique glamping experience for your guests:
- Consider if your guests will be more interested in your specific accommodations or exploring local activities.
- Will you add extras, such as day trips, workshops, yoga classes, culinary experiences, guided fishing, nature-based activities, kayaking, massages, deluxe cuisine, and spa treatments?
- What furnishing will you need to purchase? Consider items such as bedside tables, sofas, chairs, bed frames, mattresses, lounge chairs, lamps, coffee tables, and other pieces that will make the space feel functional, comfortable, and welcoming.
Want to Learn More About How to Set Up a Glamping Business?
We hope you found our guide on how to set up a glamping business helpful.
Between the lower initial startup costs and higher profit potential, luxury tented resorts are becoming increasingly popular. 2023 is an amazing time to seize the opportunity to start a sustainable glamping business.
Whether you want to set up a single eco-structure tent or run an eco-resort, our team can help you develop a business plan, discuss eco-friendly business practices, and answer all your questions about a sustainable glamping business.
Eco Structures is here to help resort owners and operators deliver luxurious, one-of-a-kind experiences to their guests.
Based out of Perth, we are Australia’s leading manufacturer of luxury glamping tents. But our vision doesn’t end there. We’re also a leading worldwide manufacturer of luxury glamping tents, with over 3,000 eco structures sold in 18 countries, including the United States, Fiji, and more. With 350 designs to choose from, we can help you create a unique experience catered to your location and target market.